(No illustration available)
1. NOMENCLATURE: Balloon ML157.
7. MAJOR COMPONENT:
2. TYPE CLASSIFICATION: Standard A.
8. SET, SYSTEM, FACILITY, AND CONFIGURATION
3. SECURITY REQUIREMENTS: Unclassified.
This equipment is used in a meteorological system.
4. PRIMARY USE OR CONCEPT OF EMPLOYMENT:
Used during the day to determine ceiling height of clouds.
9. ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED AND AUX-
ILIARY EQUIPMENT: None.
5. BRIEF FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION:
Balloon ML157 is a black ceiling balloon used during
10. TOOLS AND TEST EQUIPMENT: None.
the day to determine the height of clouds when the
ceiling is approximately 2,500 feet/762 meters or less
11. REFERENCE DATA AND LITERATURE:
The ceiling may be computed when the ascent rate of the
TM 11666022212 Z ML157
balloon and the time interval between the balloon's
release and its disappearance into a cloud deck are known.
TM 11666021812, 25P AN/TMQ4
6. TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
12. REPAIR PARTS SUPPORT CAPABILITY:
Type _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ Ceiling.
Material _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Neoprene.
13. TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
Color _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Black.
Operator MOS 93E20, 93F20.
Weight _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 10 g.
Free lift _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 40 g.
14. TYPICAL BASIS OF ISSUE.
Average rate of rise _ _ _ _ During first 1 rein, the
15. PRICE DATA:
balloon ascends 580 ft
a. Major item
_ _ _ _ _ _ _
o r 152 meters after
b. Repair parts (1-year cost based Expendable, non-
which ascent is at a
on 100 equipments).
rate of 360 fpm or 110
meters per min.
16. ITEM REPLACED: None.
Bursting altitude, ML 10,000 ft /3,048 meters.
Dimensions (neck) _ _ _ _ 2 in. long, 7/8-in. dia.
Issued as a unit replacement.