T M 75053
Figure 44.Balloon ML161A.
1. NOMENCLATURE: Balloon ML161A.
Weight _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Freelift _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2. TYPE CLASSIFICATION: Standard A.
Average rate of rise _ _ _
Bursting altitude _ _ _ _ _
45,000 ft/13,760 meters.
3. SECURITY REQUIREMENTS: Unclassified.
Dimensions (neck) _ _ _ _ _
1 7/8 in. long, 9/16-in dia.
4. PRIMARY USE OR CONCEPT OF EMPLOYMENT:
Used to determine wind direction and speed of winds
7. MAJOR COMPONENT:
5. BRIEF FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION:
8. SET, SYSTEM, FACILITY, AND CONFIGURATION
Balloon ML161A, a large red pilot balloon, is used to
determine wind direction and windspeeds of the winds aloft
This equipment is used as part of the AN/TMQ4
to a maximum altitude of 45,000 feet/13,760 meters. `The
ML161 A can be used when the sky is partly cloudy with
either a blue or cloudy background and when conditions
9. ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED AND AUX-
are indefinite or changeable. The ML161 A also may be
ILIARY EQUIPMENT: None.
used to aid in the estimation of cloud heights at night.
10. TOOLS AND TEST EQUIPMENT: None.
Windspeed and direction may be determined, tracking the
balloon visually and computing the angular data received.
11. REFERENCE DATA AND LITERATURE :
6. TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Pilot.
Material _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Neoprene.
1 1 6 6 6 0 2 2 2 1 2 . - - - - - ML161A
Color _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Red.