5. BRIEF FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION:
Pilot Balloon Target ML307/AP is a collapsible radar
reflector which is attached to a pilot balloon to assist in
tracking the balloon. The ML307/AP is used with
available radar equipment to determine upper wind di-
rection and upper wind velocity. Pilot Balloon Target
ML307/AP is made of aluminum foil with wooden rein-
forcements to prevent collapse aloft and consists of a
square plane with fins mounted on top.
6. TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Construction _ _ _ _ _ Triangular shaped, alumi-
num foil backed on balsa
Dimensions _ _ _ _ _ _ 50 in. long, 50 in. wide, 37
Approximate weight _ _ 100 g.
7. MAJOR COMPONENT:
Pilot Balloon Target ML307/AP.
8. SET, SYSTEM, FACILITY, AND CONFIGURATION
This unit is used in a system with available radar
equipment and pilot balloons.
9. ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED AND AUX-
a. Additional Equipment.
Pilot Balloon ML159, ML160, ML161, and Pilot
Balloon Target ML306/AP.
b. Auxiliary Equipment. None.
10. TOOLS AND TEST EQUIPMENT: None.
11. REFERENCE DATA AND LITERATURE:
TM 11666021812, 25P _ _ AN/TMQ4
12. REPAIR PARTS SUPPORT CAPABILITY:
13. TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
Figure 54. Pilot Balloon Target ML307/AP.
Operator MOS 93F20.
14. TYPICAL BASIS OF ISSUE.
1. NOMENCLATURE: Pilot Balloon Target ML307/
15. PRICE DATA:
a. Major item
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
b. Repair parts (1-year cost based Expendable, nonre-
2. TYPE CLASSIFICATION: Standard A.
on 100 equipments).
3. SECURITY REQUIREMENTS: Unclassified.
16. ITEM REPLACED: None.
4. PRIMARY USE OR CONCEPT OF EMPLOYMENT:
Issued as a replacement unit.
Used to assist in radar tracking of pilot balloons.