(No illustration available)
1. NOMENCLATURE: Balloon ML537/UM.
7. MAJOR COMPONENT:
2. TYPE CLASSIFICATION: Standard A.
8. SET, SYSTEM, FACILITY, AND CONFIGURATION
3. SECURITY REQUIREMENTS: Unclassified.
This equipment is used independently.
4. PRIMARY USE OR CONCEPT OF EMPLOYMENT:
9. ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED AND AUX-
Dual-purpose sounding balloon used to carry aloft
10. TOOLS AND TEST EQUIPMENT: None.
5. BRIEF FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION:
11. REFERENCE DATA AND LITERATURE:
Balloon ML537/UM is a dual-purpose sounding balloon
TM 11666021812, 25P.. AN/TMQ4
used to carry aloft meteorological equipment at an ascent
rate of approximately 1, 000-feet-per-minute or 330-meters-
12. REPAIR PARTS SUPPORT CAPABILITY:
per-minute for the purpose of obtaining upper air measure-
ments, to include pressure, temperature, relative humidity,
13. TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
windspeed and wind direction, up to an altitude of 100,000
Operator MOS 93E20, 93F20.
feet or 33,528 meters during day or night operations.
14. TYPICAL BASIS OF ISSUE.
6. TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Type _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Sounding, uncolored.
15. PRICE DATA:
Weight (nominal) _ _ _ _ _ _ 1,100 g.
a. Major item _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Material _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Neoprene latex.
b. Repair parts (1-year cost based Expendable, nonre-
Lifting force _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 1,500 g night; l,200 g day.
on 100 equipments).
Rate of rise (average) _ _1,000 fpm or 330 meters-
16. ITEM REPLACED:
Bursting altitude _
110,000 feet/33,528 meters.
Dimensions (uninflated) -- Body dia 5 ft, neck 4
in. lg and 1 in. dia.
Issued as a unit replacement.