(4) Position the inflation device downwind
from the rawin set main assembly. The
Do not tie the wire to the theo-
opening of the inflation device should be
downwind to facilitate the release of the
(4) Set up the telephone in a location con-
(5) When visual observations are to be made,
venient to the operator of the plotting
2-3; select balloons
to be used and pre-
connect telephone wires to the wire
erect the tripod and mount; orient and
terminals; tie the wires to some fixed
operate the theodolite as described in TM
object near the terminal.
(5) When electronic observations are to be
(6) When visual observations are taken for
taken, install the radiosonde recorder
low level winds in support of free rockets,
(not shown) in a location convenient to
install the theodolite as follows:
the operator of the plotting board, Con-
(a) Orient the theodolite so that the zero
nect the radiosonde recorder as indi-
direction of the theodolite is in the
cated in TM 116660204-10.
direction of fire and not in the direc-
(6) Store all Department of the Army forms,
tion of true North.
charts, and scales in a sheltered area or
(b) Locate theodolite upwind at approxi-
case until they are needed.
mately 50 meters.
(c) Orient the theodolite by using the pano-
Sites. When theodolites are used to visually ob-
ramic telescope, orientation angle, or
serve upper winds, head and chest sets must be
the compass method. Detailed proce-
installed as follows to provide communication be-
dures for support are outlined in the
tween the theodolite operator and the operator at
artillery manuals for the individual
the plotting section:
free rockets launching procedure.
(1) Place the reel at the plotting station and
b. Installation of Equipment at Plotting Sta-
unreel the wire from the reel to the
theodolite operator; connect the jack for
(1) Remove the anemometer from the case
the plug to the head and chest set (fig.
and attach the handle for surface wind
by the theodolite operator.
(2) At the plotting station, connect the short
(2) Remove the barometer from its case and
place it in a shaded area near the loca-
board on Spool DR8.
tion picked for the plotting board (fig.
(3) Connect the jack for the plug to the head
and chest set worn by the operator at the
(3) Place the plotting board on a flat sur-
face, or on a stand if one is available.
Place the rule on the plotting board so
d. Installation of Inflation Equipment.
that the retractable pin is inserted in the
(1) After the inflation device has been
pivot hole on the side of the rule to be
erected, prepare the area with the
used. The side of the rule to be used
proper grounding procedures for use
depends on wind conditions. Use the
1,100-yard scale for low winds, and the
(2) Drive two brass rods, spaced 6 meters
1,700-yard scale for high winds.